Basic rules of food and wine pairing, by Mark Schabel, Ponte winemaker:
- Drink what you like, and if you like it, it’s good wine.
- Pair likes with likes: For example, pair light wine with light dishes. Try pan seared snapper, and deglaze the pan with our 2010 Fume Blanc, then add capers and fresh dill. Serve with more Fume Blanc.
- When cooking, don’t forget: some for the dish and some for the cook.
- When pairing wines, these never fail: Good friends and good conversation.
- Rules are meant to be broken. I hardly get past the first.