While the label for our Angry Wife wines is derived from a series of engravings (circa 1945) by Dutch artist Israhel van Mecknem, they’re anything but old-fashioned on the palate. Take for example our Ponte 2019 Angry Wife White. . . a crisp, refreshing, proprietary blend that brings bright minerality, fruit-forward notes of anise, ripe peach, and tangerine to the table. Far from angry, we present a sassy, full-bodied bottle that’s sure to turn heads, while it delights you and your guests.
Created at our property in Temecula, our Angry Wife selection of wines has a fun backstory involving friendship, hobby wine-making (back in the day before the Pontes went pro), a friend’s angry wife, and an explanation as to how the label was born. Let’s just say that someone wasn’t too thrilled when their partner chose to make wine one fateful Saturday night over retrieving their mother-in-law from LAX!
But back to pairing. . . You need not be a sommelier to put together a fabulous spread. Red or white? Sweet or savory? Room temperature or chilled? It can seem overwhelming, for sure. Rest easy, we’ll be sharing our suggestions in a new ongoing series of Ponte wine and food partnerships that are guaranteed to please.
With Spring approaching, the time is now to explore a bit of wine and food marriages. In anticipation of warmer days replete with picnics and al-fresco happy hours, this white blend truly fits the bill. Let’s experiment with a few approachable combinations featuring this lively wine—with easy-to-follow recipes, to boot.
Sassy Spring Happy Hour
Canapé—the word itself conjures images of elegant, effortless cocktail parties, sparkling cutlery, and beautiful stemware. The thing is, our happy hour pairing is easy as 1-2-3, but your guests need not know. Elevate your upcoming patio or balcony hang with our delightful cucumber canapés. Feel free to omit the salmon for vegetarian guests.
Recipe: Smoked Salmon Cucumber Cups
- 4 oz smoked salmon, sliced into 1” strips
- 2 large cucumbers
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A handful of dill sprigs
- Slice cucumbers into 24 pieces that are about an inch thick.
- To make the cucumber bases, scoop a 1/2-inch deep recess into each slice with a small melon-baller. Set them aside upside down on paper towels and proceed to the next step.
- Beat lemon juice, cream cheese, dill, lemon zest, and black pepper in a medium bowl,
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture into each cucumber cup.
- Top each cup with a slice of salmon and a sprig of dill.
- Serve fresh with a bottle or two of well-chilled Angry Wife White.
Recipe: Light & Lively Supper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chopped watercress
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 6 oz salmon fillets
- Blend the first 4 ingredients and refrigerate in a covered bowl.
- Oil your grill lightly, then gently place salmon on preheated grill. Cook the fillets for 7 minutes per side, or until a fork will easily flake the fish.
Try one or both of these Ponte pairings this Spring, plan a visit for some of the best Temecula wine tasting, and be sure to sign up for our newsletter. Better yet, join our wine club and take advantage of our member benefits today! Our knowledgeable staff is ready to help you enjoy wine tasting at our facility. Stay tuned for more “Pairing with Ponte”, and saluté!