Last year, I didn’t watch the Oscars. This was extremely out of character for someone who grew up celebrating Oscar night as practically a holiday. The reason? Well, you see, it interfered with Downton Abbey (No, I don’t have DVR…I realize I’m outdated). May that be a testament to how much I love DA.
How pleased was I, then, to learn that Downton would not be airing a new episode this Sunday, leaving my Sunday night free to tune into the glitz, glamour and all the little golden statues my heart desires!
I’ve seen most of the nominated films–a must-do if you’re going to host an Oscar soiree–and I’m ready to break out some great wine for my small group of guests. As usual, I’m planning last minute. If you are, too, consider any one of these quick yet festive ideas for a fun Oscar night party.
- Popcorn bar: What’s a movie celebration without popcorn? Pop up an enormous batch of popcorn and place in some large bowls. Next, set out an assortment of mix-ins and toppings and let your guests make their own concoction. Mix-in ideas:
- Truffle oil and freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Mini chocolate chips or M&Ms
- Caramel drizzle and flaked sea salt (yum!)
- Sparkling Wine! If there’s ever a time for bubbly it’s Oscar Night. Uncork bottles of cold 2014 Moscato and keep your guest’s glasses filled. For a special treat, make Kir Royales. Fill champagne flutes with about 1 Tbsp of crème de cassis or Chambord liqueur. Fill with Sparkling Moscato.
- Pass out “swag bags.” Swag bags are well known around Oscar time. Basically, they are gift bags for Oscar nominees and party-goers containing thousands and thousands of dollars’ worth of goods, from electronics to jewelry to travel vouchers. Give your guests fun bags filled with beaded necklaces, key chains and cheap sunglasses masquerading as “designer shades.”
- Roll out the red carpet! All you need is a roll of red construction paper running from your front walkway to your front door. Voila!
- Gold balloons: Bundles of gold balloons are a fun and affordable way to set a glitzy mood
Do you celebrate Oscar Night? We’d love to know how!
No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!
By submitting a comment you grant Ponte Winery Blog a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.