The holiday season brings desserts in all their sugary forms: indulgent cakes, rich icings and chocolate for days. While I admit that I have a powerful sweet tooth, sometimes something a little less saccharine hits the spot… especially when paired with a decadent dessert wine like Port. Italian Wine Cookies are a great answer to the overly-sugared holiday season. Subtly sweet and made with wine… oh, what a treat!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, wine, sugar and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually mix in the flour, stirring consistently, until the dough is able to hold its shape.
- Knead the dough on a well-floured cutting board, then use a rolling pin to roll it flat.
- Cut the dough into long, thin strips.
- Roll out each strip of dough until they are about ½” diameter and 12” long, then cut each strip in half.
- Gently twist the two pieces together, creating a braided look, then connect the ends to form a circle.
- Dip the top of the donut-shaped cookie into a shallow bowl of granulated sugar until the tops are evenly covered. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden-brown.
- Pair with your favorite Ponte wine and enjoy!