I am a big fan of wine. I drink with my friends, and I drink a lot with my family. And I have even been known to have a glass when I am home alone. (Okay, more than a glass!) A glass of Nebbiolo my Kindle and the couch is my idea of a well-spent weekend. I am an avid wine drinker.
And thanks to scientific researchers around the world, I now realize that my consumption of large quantities of wine is actually a healthy life choice. According to a recent round-up of medical articles, wine has many health benefits.
- Wine drinkers have a 34% lower mortality rate than beer or spirit drinkers (Journal of Gerontology, 2007)
- Moderate wine drinkers suffering from high blood pressure are 30% less likely to have a heart attack (Annals of Internal Medicine, 2007)
- Red wine lowers the risk of heart disease (Nature, 2006)
- Moderate drinkers have a 30% less risk than non-drinkers of developing Type 2 diabetes (Diabetes Care, 2005)
- Consume moderate amounts of alcohol and reduce the possibility of suffering a blood-clot related stroke by 50% (Stroke, 2006)
- Moderate drinkers are 32% less likely to get cataracts than non-drinkers (Nature, 2003)
- Moderate consumption of wine, especially red, cuts the risk of color cancer by 45% (American Journal of Gastroenterology)
- Moderate wine consumption is associated with better brain function and performance and can help lower the risk of developing degenerative diseases, like dementia and Alzheimer’s (Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, 2010)
Each of these studies emphasized that the key is regular moderate wine drinking, which means no more than two glasses per day for men and one glass per day for women. Drink more than the recommended amount, and the benefits disappear.
So the next time I don’t feel like going for my afternoon run, I will open a bottle of my favorite red and remember that I am actively participating in creating a healthy lifestyle. Or, at least that is what I will tell myself…
No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!
By submitting a comment you grant Ponte Winery Blog a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.