Wake up and recycle! Friday is America Recycles day, a national day to celebrate recycling and give your garbage another life.
While it might seem to be a pain to sort your papers and plastics or schlep your batteries to the center, make a pledge on this day, November 15th, to promise to do something perhaps different for you, and it’s really easy. We at Ponte are committed to sustainability and want you to be too, see why:
Think about the issue of climate change, the greatest environmental challenge of our time. Recycling helps to fight this greenhouse gas emissions. The recycling process itself reduces the need to process new materials so we preserve our sources. Recycling diverts waste from the landfill which cuts carbon dioxide emissions and preserves land space. So yay, we are fighting climate change – but how well?
The average American produces 4.4 pounds of trash in a single day which adds up to the grand total of 250 million tons of trash that America accumulates in the landfills ever year. The recycling rate in the US has been getting better since the early 70s and currently reaches about 34.7%. This is great progress but we still a have long way to go.
Here are some ways you can help the environment and celebrate this day:
- Take the pledge for the day.
- Bring in your corks to the tasting room to be recycled by ReCork.
- Enjoy any Ponte bottle of wine and when you are done, bring back the empty bottle for us to recycle. In return for each bottle, you will receive a $1 voucher or Green buck to use on your next purchase.
- Bring your old clothes to Goodwill or other donation locations.
- Compost your food scraps like we do in the Restaurant.
- Bring your own reusable bag when shopping and take those old plastic bags to the grocery store’s collection box
- Visit IWantToBeRecycled.org to find your nearest recycling center and learn the facts about what materials can be recycled and what they can become in their new lives
So sip those whites, swirl the reds, and live green! What will you pledge to recycle? Tell me about it!