If you’re like me, you are always looking for a reason to celebrate with food and wine. This Sunday, Father’s Day, is the perfect excuse!
Last month, you can imagine my excitement when not one but two perfect summer wines were released. They are the 2011 Moscato and 2011 Graciela. I knew the perfect appetizer to pair with the Moscato, and also one that dad would love while sitting outside, poolside: a spicy shrimp cocktail. The great part is the crisp and off-dry flavor of the Graciela works well with this appetizer as well. A different version of the normal shrimp cocktail, this appetizer has jalapenos in it which gives the perfect kick to that old fashioned shrimp cocktail. Enjoy this appetizer with the Moscato or Graciela…or both!
Spicy Shrimp Cocktail
- 12 – 16 ounces of shrimp (cooked and peeled)
- 12 – 16 ounces of crab (imitation crab works well, too)
- 2 small jalapenos, sliced thinly
- 2 large diced tomatoes
- 2 diced avocados
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lemon and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 bottle (small) Picante style Clamato juice
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ cup of ketchup (optional)
- Hot Sauce to taste (optional)
Stir all ingredients together, except tomato, avocado and jalapeno. Once ingredients are mixed, gently fold in tomato, avocado and jalapenos. Refrigerate one hour, serve in small ramekins and enjoy with tortilla or pita chips.
Servings: About 12
–What will you be cooking up for dad on Father’s Day?